Above image by Nan Goldin. (1981)Anyone aware of the current Ryan McGinley/Tiny Vices inspired trend in snapshot-style photography of youth culture should note its precedent: Nan Goldin's raw and emotional 1986 Aperture monologue, The Ballad of Sexual Dependency. Below is one of McGinley's most famous photographs, an example of McGinley's more light-hearted 21st-century version of Goldin's Ballad.
Ryan McGinley. Dakota (Hair), 2004.
In light of this, I thought it might be interesting to look at what came before Nan Goldin. I found an essay by Nan Goldin on the work of E.J. Bellocq, who photographed in the Storyville whorehouses in New Orleans in the early 20th century. The essay was published in Art Forum in 1997. If you would like to read the essay, you can find it here.
Below image by E.J. Bellocq
If Foucault had been an art theorist, I think he might have been interested.
If Foucault had been an art theorist, I think he might have been interested.
No comments:
Post a Comment